Tuesday, January 14, 2014

This week it's all about the buttons

Not clothing buttons (nope, not a craft post), but remote control buttons. Since I last stopped by here, I feel like life has been on fast forward. Season and mid-season premieres, and the finale of the latest season of Project Runway All Stars. Last week blurred into a super productive Saturday in which another huge batch of homemade all natural laundry detergent was made. I'll be making another post soon with the recipe I used and a review, since this is the second batch and I've made some tweaks and made quite a few observations. Saturday melted into Sunday which meant work. Then the Golden Globes (Yay! Jared Leto won!). Then a massive headache which took a few hours and nine ibuprofen to kill. Then sleep, because today was a double at work. The first of three in a row, whew! Can we hit pause yet? For just a few moments?

So now it's Tuesday, and I'm getting my Music Monday post in an entire day late. The theme for Monday's Music Moves Me over at Dolly's is "songs in the key of life." Since I've never been one to assign certain songs to certain events, all I have from prom, wedding, first dance, first kiss....all the life moments....are my favorites from those times, and those wouldn't necessarily sum up my thoughts on my life moments. Nor are they necessarily songs that were popular during those times. So I'll just chime in with what I've been listening to a lot here lately, and that's A Perfect Circle's latest, their "greatest hits" compilation Three Sixty. I think Maynard James Keenan is nothing short of a musical genius, and APC's music is the perfect combination of progressive, aggressive, and dreamy. Here's "Rose," originally found on Mer de Noms.

Today's coffee chat topic over at Time Out For Mom is "What is the one thing you will do differently in 2014?"

Gee, just one thing? But there are SO MANY things I want to and will do differently this year. I guess if I had to pick just one, it would be to let backslides be backslides, instead of becoming a huge lapse back into bad habits/bad judgment. Case in point? By now, I wanted to re-introduce workouts into my daily routine. I haven't yet. And I may not for another two weeks, as I have LOTS of work, then a trip to my home state to belatedly celebrate the holidays with family and my youngest son's birthday with him, THEN a trip to Atlanta to visit Spank for the New Politics show. And I AM SO EXCITED - for ALL of it! But especially family. It's been about four months since I've seen them.

But I digress. Since I've gotten off the eating healthy wagon and failed to bring an integral part of my get fit plan into the mix, I have backslid. I accept this, and I have already promised myself I will do the best I can despite all the crazy-ness of the coming two weeks. I'm in need of a reset.

What are you listening to this week? What are the songs in the key of your life? What is the one thing you will do differently in 2014?

12 comments:

  1. Starting a healthy routine can take time. You can do it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is definitely taking me some time! But I'm not giving up yet. The year is still too young to declare failure.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I hope you get to have your reset; we all need them from time to time.

      Delete
  3. No worries with hitting the dance floor a day late. We are just glad you decided to join us. As for pressing that reset, I know precisely what you mean. I backslid on diet/exercise, too at the end of last year and am just now kick starting things. So, don't bet yourself up and don't stress about it. The thing is, just get started as soon as you can and it'll eventually get easier for you. We all have to stick together in encouraging the other to reach for her goals and to be a cheerleader when a friend needs it the most. Have a terrific Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am still backsliding a bit, but only a bit. And I'm in a place now, time-wise, where I can do a bit better. I hope your own health/fitness routine is still going well!

      Delete
  4. OMG - I saw Jared win and totally thought of you!!! LOL
    his eyes tho. wow. I was quite happy for him I must say, because I think he's a bit of an under-rated talent. And he's a bit unconventional, so it's nice to see someone like that win. the body waxing - oh my: mental image ;)
    watch for his Terry Richardson photo shoot to come out soon.

    With being so sick lately, fitness regime has definitely taken a back seat. I had to accept that too. Trying to push onward to keep losing weight, and not sleeping much, was just a disaster of a combination. First thing is to get well. Then set new fitness goals.
    But the one side affect about being sick, no appetite. hence, I am losing weight. LOL
    just probably not the best way to accomplish that.
    great song!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, I finally saw the Terry photos you were talking about! Jared's way hot, and definitely under-rated. I actually prefer Shannon, though.....people think I'm crazy when I say he's equally hot!

      Hope you are feeling much better! Being sick is definitely NOT the way to go. I wish being sick diminished my appetite.

      Delete
  5. Who doesn't love A Perfect Circle?! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're so awesome. I really love anything Maynard James Keenan does, though. Anything.

      Delete
  6. I'll listen to most types of music but have promised myself to take more time out for a bit of classical! Otherwise, my year will be busy with writing and gigging with both by sons' bands, who are not doing too badly on the Scottish music scene.

    I loved the video, btw, and look out for more material by them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, congrats to your sons on their successes! And I will definitely keep up with your writing. I should make more time for classical as well. It's such amazing music to keep going while you go about your day-to-day activities.

      Delete

I love comments, so be sure to leave one! Pretty please? I reply to comments on here and return visits (although I can't promise to do so in a timely manner). I can only return a visit if I can find you, so if you're linked to a Google + account, please do me a kindness and leave me a link/tell me where I can find you in your comment :)