Monday, June 2, 2014

It's a southern thang

Southern rock, that is! And that's the theme over at Dolly's this week.

Here's one of my favorite bands and a Southern Rock band from my generation, The Black Crowes. I know many people are familiar with them from their early days (Shake Your Money Maker, The Southern Harmony and Musical Companion), but they've actually had a pretty long and illustrious career beyond that. This particular song is a single from their 2001 release Lions, and I love it so much because it's different from what you'd expect of the genre and sounds heavily inspired by southern gospel, blues, and the hippie music of the sixties.

(Edited to add: I didn't realize this "video" was 4+ hours; I only thought I had the first one!)

The Black Crowes - "Soul Singing"

9 comments:

  1. Yep that's a good Southern thang LOL

    Have a tanfabulous week ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this. I had forgotten about them.
    Now I'll have to hea more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't think about this group but then again not very familiar with them. thanks for reminding me about them and their amazing music.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds good at first, but I'm not listening for four hours. Sorry. ;)

    http://joycelansky.blogspot.com/2014/06/mm-southern-rock-on.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is my first time hearing them.
    So much to learn in music eh.

    Thanks for rocking :)

    Happy Rocky Road Ice Cream Day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice Southern pick for sure.
    I enjoyed this one to rock out with.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Southern Style Rock man this sure is a good theme... have a great day... ROCK THE HOUSE! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooooo the Black Crows - love them! What a great theme this is and look at all the good music we get to hear. Hope you're having a great week and sorry I'm a little late...puff, puff.

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVE the Black Crowes!! Awesome choice.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, so be sure to leave one! Pretty please? I reply to comments on here and return visits (although I can't promise to do so in a timely manner). I can only return a visit if I can find you, so if you're linked to a Google + account, please do me a kindness and leave me a link/tell me where I can find you in your comment :)