Tuesday, October 11, 2011

20 days till Halloween!

Once again, I had to turn to trusty Wikipedia to refresh my memory of Nosferatu. I'm talking about the 1979 film, which, despite reading synopses at Wikipedia and elsewhere, I just do not remember that much about. Like most of the pre-80s horror films, my viewing was done as a youngster. What does stand out clearly after all these years is how monstrous Count Dracula was in this movie. This marked the first time I had seen Dracula not as a handsome and dapper man, but a horrifying creature. This could also have been the first vampire movie I'd seen that wasn't from the Universal or Hammer films, and it was also scarier....probably due to Dracula's appearance.

For a long time, I wasn't aware that this movie was based on another one, the 1922 German silent film of the same name. But I'd really like to see that one someday, because in my adult years I became quite fond of the silent film in general. I have seen two silent horror films to date,and both were incredibly macabre and scary. I keep meaning to hunt the original Nosferatu down, but never get around to it.

I also want to get my hands on a copy of the 1998 Wayne Keeley version simply because it features David Carradine, of all people, and was scored by Type O Negative.

Image source: Wikipedia

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so be sure to leave one! Pretty please? I reply to comments on here and return visits (although I can't promise to do so in a timely manner). I can only return a visit if I can find you, so if you're linked to a Google + account, please do me a kindness and leave me a link/tell me where I can find you in your comment :)