Tuesday, April 16, 2013

It's my day off, and I'm actually up early. Can you believe it?

Disclaimer: it was early - for *me* - when I wrote this. Publication? Not so early.

More accurately, this starts my "weekend." I usually don't get more than one day off in a row. But I digress. Isn't it ironic how I don't mind getting up early on my days off? It makes sense when you think about it, though. I can do more. HGTV shows stuff other than House Hunters and House Hunters International earlier in the morning. I can get more blogging and networking done, and still have time for the creative stuff I want to do, and more time for housework and stuff that I need to do. I mean, I want to enjoy my days off, so of course I don't mind waking up early. Besides that, I can always nap later.

I remember my childhood/teenage summers - for the first few weeks, I'd be on my school schedule and automatically wake up by 9am every day because when you normally wake up at 6am, 9am is "sleeping in." I'd gradually get to the point where I'd sleep till 11am or noon, waking up only in time to watch Days of Our Lives. This was the mid-80s, before the talk show era, and it was quite entertaining. Yes, we had Phil, Geraldo, and Oprah, but they came on later in the afternoon, and unless they had metal musicians on there to discuss devil-worship rumors, I generally didn't watch. I didn't have HGTV at that time in my life, and only had MTV on the days I'd visit my Dad. So soap operas were generally my only tv diversion when I was home-bound.

(And that brings me to today's coffee chat discussion: "What were your favourite board games growing up? Do you still play?" You grab your coffee or beverage of choice while I grab my Milo's Famous Sweet Tea, and I'll tell you all about it.)



Since there is only so much Days of Our lives anyone can stand, my nearby cousins and my BFF or all would converge at someone's house to listen to records, watch a rented movie (a big deal to us), or play some board games. We generally played Monopoly, but often branched out into card games of some sort. In my younger adulthood, after work and school overtook my life, it was always fun to unwind with a game every now and then. I tried to keep up with the more seasoned players at card games, but Trivial Pursuit was always my thing. Oh, man, could I kick some ass at Trivial Pursuit! (psst....I still can, but no one in my family will play with me anymore).

How about you? What are your favorite childhood games? Do you still play them? What are your favorite non-electronic games?

Oh, and in my never-ending quest to make my blogging experience a good one for myself and my readers, I've added Facebook comments. People have used them, too I just want to be sure people are commenting with their FB account because they want to, and not because it's the first thing they see and just assume that's my commenting system. And in the past, some have said they had trouble finding the place to comment. So now I've tried to make that very simple by adding a comment blurb at the bottom of posts which should be very easy to use and self-explanatory. You'll have to let me know how that works for you!

Lastly, like many of you, I am absolutely shocked and saddened by yesterday's events in Boston. My heart goes out to all affected as well as my admiration for the bravery shown by first responders, runners, and spectators who stayed around to help those in need.


(Image Source: Throne Performance Tumblr)


Spank has written an inspirational post about how wonderful people were to one another, strangers, amidst the tragedy.

And on that note? Be kind to one another, and have a great week!



Photobucket


COMMENTS

Scroll immediately below post


Name/URL - Anonymous
Click here or scroll to the bottom of the page.

4 comments:

  1. Trivial Pursuit is another great game.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No one will play Trivial Pursuit with me either! This is what happens when you are a big time reader AND have a darn good memory for retaining useless facts.

    For me, it was Young and the Restless: my grandma always took a tea break to watch it when I was growing up and I got hooked on the story of Victor and Nikki. Still get chills to this day thinking about Victor's voice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sleeping in... the good old days... I can't do that anymore either... I was like Leslie - I was a Y&R kind of girl and I also loved As the World Turns - and Oprah!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, so be sure to leave one! Pretty please? I reply to comments on here and return visits (although I can't promise to do so in a timely manner). I can only return a visit if I can find you, so if you're linked to a Google + account, please do me a kindness and leave me a link/tell me where I can find you in your comment :)