Thursday, October 13, 2011

I'm thinking I might attempt to cook again.

So my family might want to take cover.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not half bad with a casserole dish or skillet when it comes to making something partially homemade, but I really want to be one of those amazing moms who does everything from scratch, with fresh ingredients bought locally and all that jazz. Yeah, that's not going to happen, since my schedule and budget really don't allow for it and I really need to be a much, much better cook if I am going to splurge on fresh ingredients and spend a lot more time and effort on our meals.

Still doesn't make me want to give up on it altogether, either, though.

Anyway, one of the writing prompts from Mama Kat's Writer's Workshop this week was "A recipe that went all kinds of wrong."

Um. Well, that could describe many of the things I've attempted to make over the years, as I'm very hit-or-miss in the kitchen. And there have been quite a few misses along the way!

There is EVERY time I try to fry catfish my stepdad and boys have caught, only to end up with soggy, greasy, falling-apart messes that not even the dogs will touch.

There was the time I was attempting to make dinner from scratch for company, and accidentally added eggs to my biscuit mix. We ended up with what looked (and almost tasted) like silver dollar pancakes.

And then there was the time as a newlywed when I wanted to surprise my then-hubby with a homemade cake after he came home from work one evening. I baked the cake completely from scratch, and it turned out perfect. I also attempted to make my Grandmother's homemade caramel cake frosting to go with it. It's a recipe from the 40s which called for a candy thermometer I didn't have, and said something about a "soft ball stage" which I just had to guess at! As you can imagine, this did not end well. I ended up with hard candy. Instead of caramel cake, we had unfrosted cake and peanut-less peanut brittle.

Sure, it was tasty. But it still went all kinds of wrong!

For more writer's workshop for this week, head over to Mama's Losin' It.

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so be sure to leave one! Pretty please? I reply to comments on here and return visits (although I can't promise to do so in a timely manner). I can only return a visit if I can find you, so if you're linked to a Google + account, please do me a kindness and leave me a link/tell me where I can find you in your comment :)