Monday, June 11, 2012

It ain't over till the fat lady sings

I just knew there was something I was forgetting to do today, and it was to have a post ready for XMas Dolly's "Monday Music Moves Me"! BUT....Monday's not over yet. And this week's theme is so cool: FREEBIE WEEK!

Photobucket


So, first things first....the rules:

1. You Tube, and lock & load!
2. Grab "Monday's Music Moves Me" Button.
3. SIGN LINKY, Follow us (Note: XMas Dolly and the other participants?), & Rockin' comment are good!
4. Finally,Boogie down to your Fellow Rockin' Bloggers. Also, bring some back with you to join us!

-----------------
So....yes, music is my life. I always have my music player (which, since the death of my beloved Zune - don't judge! - is now my Blackberry Curve. I am so behind the times!) set to shuffle, and I've been hearing LOTS of random goodness here lately, thanks to working on a super-secret, super-exciting surprise project outdoors. So there has been plenty of inspiration for today's selections - an eclectic mix of old, new, laid-back, and brutal. And so on....

North Mississippi Allstars - Mean Ol' Wind Died Down
I put this on a mix CD I made for my Mom for Mother's Day. We both love blues, and this is some of the BEST current southern blues you will ever hear, so I hope you'll get a chance to listen to the whole thing. This particular song was featured in the 2006 film Black Snake Moan, and if it doesn't make you want to move, you might want to have your doctor check you over to make sure you still have a pulse!



Marilyn Manson - The Gardener
I recently reviewed Marilyn Manson's latest, Born Villain, over at The Music Mamas, and have to say that after being pretty much completely disappointed in their two previous releases, this latest record just blows me away. I can relate to almost every line of these lyrics, love the beat and sound, and Manson's voice is delightfully menacing and creepy, as it should be ;)



Jack White - Missing Pieces
The always-quirky Jack White does not disappoint with his debut solo album, Blunderbuss. I love this man. Love his work with The White Stripes, The Raconteurs, The Dead Weather and Loretta Lynn. Love to watch him perform. Love his adorable, shy smile. Just LOVE. And did I mention he is single now? Well, he IS! (I know - I totally have a chance, right? If you don't agree with me, keep it to yourself, k?) I had a hard time picking a song of his to feature, but had it narrowed down to this one and his live performance of "Love Interruption" on SNL. Obviously, I chose the other, but you should go check his SNL performance out if you get a chance. You'll get a glimpse of his adorable smile if you do :)



Skrillex (ft. Sirah) - Kyoto
You know, I don't know or understand much about the whole dubstep phenomenon, but I can't lie here.....the music makes me want to stand in front of a wall of speakers and just move. I think Skrillex is my favorite of the dubstep/electronica genre, and I especially love this song since it sounds to me like he sampled part of the original, tv Dark Shadows theme for part of it. I haven't been able to confirm this (and that's probably not even what it is), but that's exactly what I thought the first time I heard it. I really, REALLY wish I'd been able to see him at Hangout. Or Bonnaroo. Alas, I am too broke to go anywhere fun right now. FYI: EXPLICIT.



Grateful Dead - Casey Jones
Who didn't go through at least a Grateful Dead phase in college?



Slipknot - Surfacing
I'm going to see these guys in Atlanta next month, and I'm so excited! They've been on my "bands to see bucket list" for a while now, since I've never seen them before. And I think it will just make my entire LIFE if I get to see/hear this live! Profanity galore.



Stone Sour - Through the Glass
Hard to believe Slipknot's vocalist and Stone Sour's vocalist are one and the same, isn't it?



Be sure to head over to XMas Dolly's to catch up on all the other MMMMonday participants - and maybe play along yourself.


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so be sure to leave one! Pretty please? I reply to comments on here and return visits (although I can't promise to do so in a timely manner). I can only return a visit if I can find you, so if you're linked to a Google + account, please do me a kindness and leave me a link/tell me where I can find you in your comment :)